I have been posting to this blog for over 13 years, each year reporting on accomplishments over the prior year and goals for the new year.

2024 is no different. My main photography goal for the year is listed in the January submission of the 2024 C.London 52 Week Photography Challenge. Content this year will work towards that goal in addition to my general shooting. Check out my website "About" page to learn more. The website is at www.jeffmarcowitz.photography 

All content posted here in the blog will also be on the website, however with a subscription to the blog, you'll continue to receive the email notifications.

Thanks to all of you who have followed this photo blog for many years and welcome to any newcomers. My hope is that the images and stories are interesting and thought-provoking as I continue this creative journey. As always, comments, critiques and suggestions (here and the website) are welcome and appreciated as they often lead to new ideas and inspiration.

Thank You.
Jeff

Friday, June 30, 2017

Joaquim

Joaquim
After a great dinner at our hotel in Lisbon, there were leftovers that I did not want to be wasted.  After successfully being able to help a homeless person the night before, I sought out the same result this evening.  Being later at night, I had to venture further from the hotel to find an area with more people around.  Walking down a well lit side street, I came across a gentleman rummaging through some waste bins by a nearby restaurant.

I approached him with outstretched hands holding the boxed remains of a ribeye steak.  His eyes lit up when I offered him the food and he gladly accepted it.  He did not speak English and understood enough Spanish when I asked him his nombre?  He went into his knapsack, pulled out a piece of paper & pen and proceeded to write out his full name, Joaquim Rui Lourenço Farinha.   Handing me the paper, he shook my hand profusely and kept saying “obrigado, obrigado”.  I held up my phone and asked if I could take his photo to which he agreed and smiled widely when I showed him the picture.  I also gave him 2 Euro.  As I departed we shook hands again and he began to open the meal.

Taken 6/30/17 - Lisbon, Portugal

No comments:

Post a Comment