I have been posting to this blog for over 13 years, each year reporting on accomplishments over the prior year and goals for the new year.

2024 is no different. My main photography goal for the year is listed in the January submission of the 2024 C.London 52 Week Photography Challenge. Content this year will work towards that goal in addition to my general shooting. Check out my website "About" page to learn more. The website is at www.jeffmarcowitz.photography 

All content posted here in the blog will also be on the website, however with a subscription to the blog, you'll continue to receive the email notifications.

Thanks to all of you who have followed this photo blog for many years and welcome to any newcomers. My hope is that the images and stories are interesting and thought-provoking as I continue this creative journey. As always, comments, critiques and suggestions (here and the website) are welcome and appreciated as they often lead to new ideas and inspiration.

Thank You.
Jeff

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Troy

Troy

He was selling Street Sheet and as I turned the corner onto Mason, he launched into his spiel.  “I’m trying’ to stay out of trouble…”  I stopped and listened for a short while and then asked him if he’s heard of $2 Portraits.  He hadn’t, so after explaining it to him, he agreed to participate.

Troy is 54 years old and is originally from Louisiana.  He came to San Francisco at age 18 and immediately got into trouble.  “I was a gangbanger…did some bad stuff and spent almost half my life in prison.  I got involved in running some guns and a few guys got shot up real bad.”  Troy spent 25 years in Folsom, San Quentin and a third prison I hadn’t heard of.  He was there long enough to become a “lieutenant”; supposedly running a cell block from an inmates perspective.

Once out of prison, he tried finding work and was actually hired by Hertz.  Once they saw 10 felonies on his record, they let him go.  (I thought it odd they didn’t see the felonies before they hired him).  Troy is living in a halfway house and sells the Street Sheet to make legitimate money.  He’s not interested in going back to prison.

Troy was really polite.  He thanked me profusely for listening to his story and not running off.  I gave him $2, told him to keep the Street Sheet and then we shook hands.  Off he went to pitch the Sheet to another prospect.

Taken 7/8/14

No comments:

Post a Comment