I have been posting to this blog for over 13 years, each year reporting on accomplishments over the prior year and goals for the new year.

2024 is no different. My main photography goal for the year is listed in the January submission of the 2024 C.London 52 Week Photography Challenge. Content this year will work towards that goal in addition to my general shooting. Check out my website "About" page to learn more. The website is at www.jeffmarcowitz.photography 

All content posted here in the blog will also be on the website, however with a subscription to the blog, you'll continue to receive the email notifications.

Thanks to all of you who have followed this photo blog for many years and welcome to any newcomers. My hope is that the images and stories are interesting and thought-provoking as I continue this creative journey. As always, comments, critiques and suggestions (here and the website) are welcome and appreciated as they often lead to new ideas and inspiration.

Thank You.
Jeff

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Unnamed


When I first met her in March and then again in May, it was purely by happenstance.  A sad story of a young girl living on the streets of San Francisco.  A situation so far from what I considered normal, it tore at my gut and my emotions.  As reported in my May encounter, I couldn't let it go.  I continued my efforts to build a relationship of trust with her and with her mom who lives in the US.  Many emails, phone calls with her mom, and a couple of dinners with her, sans camera, were the building blocks of this relationship.  And now, those efforts have paid off.  Our two meetings this week were not by accident, but rather planned as significant milestones in her return to what will hopefully be a meaningful and productive life.
 
Because of my regular travel to the Bay Area, I was able to assist her mom in arranging her trip to visit her extended family, by facilitating with money, passport, logistics and most importantly moral support and encouragement.  But I could not do it alone.  Through the wonderful Flickr photo community, I met a great person with a warm heart who in the 11th hour was able to provide a boost of encouragement and ensure she got to the airport.
 
So as I write this, she is enroute.  No one can predict the long-term outcome when she returns to the US, and for that, the jury is still out.  But on the question of was I doing the right thing by taking a risk and intervening as a total stranger, the verdict is a resounding YES.  Random acts of kindness can truly make a difference.
 
Taken 7/6/11
Posted 7/10/11 - Week 28

No comments:

Post a Comment