I have been posting to this blog for over 13 years, each year reporting on accomplishments over the prior year and goals for the new year.

2024 is no different. My main photography goal for the year is listed in the January submission of the 2024 C.London 52 Week Photography Challenge. Content this year will work towards that goal in addition to my general shooting. Check out my website "About" page to learn more. The website is at www.jeffmarcowitz.photography 

All content posted here in the blog will also be on the website, however with a subscription to the blog, you'll continue to receive the email notifications.

Thanks to all of you who have followed this photo blog for many years and welcome to any newcomers. My hope is that the images and stories are interesting and thought-provoking as I continue this creative journey. As always, comments, critiques and suggestions (here and the website) are welcome and appreciated as they often lead to new ideas and inspiration.

Thank You.
Jeff

Monday, October 24, 2011

Josh

Josh
Via Flickr:
He saw me talking to Frog and came up to me as I was walking away. "Are you doing interviews Sir?" he asked, "because I'm in a similar situation as her." Josh said he was from Colorado and wouldn't mind talking. After going for a bite to eat, and not finishing what I ordered, I went back looking for Josh with my leftovers. "Hey Colorado" I called when I saw him a few yards away. He was grateful for the fried shrimp and while he ate, we talked.

Josh is 24 years old and lives on the streets. He's traveled to many parts of the country and said that his lifestyle is by choice. He has only 3 living relatives, all more than a generation older and he lost both his parents more than 5 years ago. Josh described how when he was working in Colorado for Papa John he was making a lot of money via commissions, wage and tips and serving in a role as assistant marketing manager. Josh said he realized that having money didn't make him happy so he set out traveling and meeting people. When he runs out of money or can't support himself on the street, he cleans up, gets a job, earns some money and then goes back to the street lifestyle.

It should have been a sad story, but it wasn't. Josh was pretty articulate and confident in himself. He appears to be truly happy with his present state in life but recognizes that it won't be forever. Right now he's happy living his humble values. I thanked Josh for the conversation and wished him luck. He thanked me for the dinner, shook my hand and we parted ways.

Taken 10/19/11
Posted 10/24/11 - Week 43; processed with Snapseed on the iPad.

No comments:

Post a Comment