I have been posting to this blog for over 13 years, each year reporting on accomplishments over the prior year and goals for the new year.

2024 is no different. My main photography goal for the year is listed in the January submission of the 2024 C.London 52 Week Photography Challenge. Content this year will work towards that goal in addition to my general shooting. Check out my website "About" page to learn more. The website is at www.jeffmarcowitz.photography 

All content posted here in the blog will also be on the website, however with a subscription to the blog, you'll continue to receive the email notifications.

Thanks to all of you who have followed this photo blog for many years and welcome to any newcomers. My hope is that the images and stories are interesting and thought-provoking as I continue this creative journey. As always, comments, critiques and suggestions (here and the website) are welcome and appreciated as they often lead to new ideas and inspiration.

Thank You.
Jeff

Friday, July 27, 2012

Jerry

Jerry
Via Flickr:
"Desperate". His cardboard sign beckoned as he sat along Powell Street in Union Square. I struck up a conversation, telling him about the $2 Portrait project to which he, in a sullen way, agreed to participate. As his story unfolded, I came to learn his sign was accurate.

Jerry is 45 years old and was originally was from Texas before his family moved to Oakland. His dad passed away and his mom still lives there but is in ill health. Jerry told me he and his wife (who is 41) have been homeless in San Francisco for a year. Shelter beds are hard to come by and he's been denied General Assistance with no reason given. I asked Jerry about his wife and he pointed her out panhandling across the street. Pregnant and due in September, Jerry and his wife are trying to get off the street before the baby comes. I asked if he had any other family in he area; he said no, but his wife has 4 grown children (of which two are constantly in trouble with the law). He went on to describe some of their transgressions.

Jerry also told me he had a spine injury from a car accident which is why he was sitting on Powell as opposed to standing by Union Square. I asked what kind of work he did before becoming injured and he said all kinds of work including sales (retail) and construction. He'd love to have a job doing anything but the market is very tough. I asked him if he's clean or using and he said absolutely clean…he's got a baby coming and baby comes first. Jerry was very well spoken and articulate which led me to believe he might be employable if given a break. I gave Jerry a few dollars and wished him luck.

[Image taken 7-26-12 w/ x100 in a darker area of Powell - hence the awful lack of sharpness]

No comments:

Post a Comment