I have been posting to this blog for over 13 years, each year reporting on accomplishments over the prior year and goals for the new year.

2024 is no different. My main photography goal for the year is listed in the January submission of the 2024 C.London 52 Week Photography Challenge. Content this year will work towards that goal in addition to my general shooting. Check out my website "About" page to learn more. The website is at www.jeffmarcowitz.photography 

All content posted here in the blog will also be on the website, however with a subscription to the blog, you'll continue to receive the email notifications.

Thanks to all of you who have followed this photo blog for many years and welcome to any newcomers. My hope is that the images and stories are interesting and thought-provoking as I continue this creative journey. As always, comments, critiques and suggestions (here and the website) are welcome and appreciated as they often lead to new ideas and inspiration.

Thank You.
Jeff

Thursday, March 17, 2022

Gene

Gene
As I was walking up Madison Street toward the train station, our eyes met and we exchanged a couple of pleasantries. He seemed eager for a conversation so I asked him if he had heard about $2 Portraits. He had not, but readily agreed to participate.

Gene is 67 years old and has lived in a homeless encampment at 41st & Halsted for the past seven years. He described it as an old construction site that had been abandoned and has since become a place for those homeless who cannot, or who choose not to, go to a shelter. Gene told me about someone who gifted him a Coleman tent and when it broke, Coleman replaced it for him for free. I asked him if he had any family in the area and he told me about his younger brother (65) who also lives at 41st & Halsted. Gene said he worked for the Chicago Tribune and Chicago Sun Times (newspapers) for about 35 years; I didn’t catch what he did for them. But now, he has some side hustles selling candy & novelties to supplement his income. He’s been struggling since Covid, as the streets have been very empty and he’s been unable to make the connections he was used to, however feels fortunate because he’s not had Covid.

In the 10+ years I’ve been making $2 Portraits, Gene is the most entrepreneurial of anyone I’ve spoken with. I was curious about the Venmo strap around his neck so he pulled out a Venmo card with QR code from which he can make sales of his novelties and take donations. He also told me about his gofundme.com campaign and his listing on Homeless Lives Matter. He also rattled off a couple of other websites he’s connected to. I scanned the QR code and sure enough Venmo came up with Gene’s name and novelty business.

I commented on Gene’s beard and he proudly stated he hasn’t shaved it since 2010. Every once in awhile his brother trims it around his neck because it gets caught in zippers. He said it keeps him warm in the winter time.

If I had a chair to pull up, Gene would have kept talking all morning. Having a train to catch, I thanked Gene for his time as I headed out. He thanked me for the $2 and kept on talking. Was a unique encounter, for sure. 

Ricoh GRIIIx @ f4.5 1/160 40mm equiv ISO 1250

Photographed 3/17/22

No comments:

Post a Comment