I have been posting to this blog for over 13 years, each year reporting on accomplishments over the prior year and goals for the new year.

2024 is no different. My main photography goal for the year is listed in the January submission of the 2024 C.London 52 Week Photography Challenge. Content this year will work towards that goal in addition to my general shooting. Check out my website "About" page to learn more. The website is at www.jeffmarcowitz.photography 

All content posted here in the blog will also be on the website, however with a subscription to the blog, you'll continue to receive the email notifications.

Thanks to all of you who have followed this photo blog for many years and welcome to any newcomers. My hope is that the images and stories are interesting and thought-provoking as I continue this creative journey. As always, comments, critiques and suggestions (here and the website) are welcome and appreciated as they often lead to new ideas and inspiration.

Thank You.
Jeff

Thursday, November 10, 2022

Deacon Robert

52Frames-Week 45-Street Photography and $2 Portraits

Michigan Avenue
Chicago, IL

When I first walked by, he was hawking for change. I was running late for an appointment and didn't stop. Returning an hour later, he was still at it so I approached and asked if he'd heard of $2 Portraits. He hadn't and after I explained, he said that $5 for a story and photo would be better.

"I'm Deacon Robert, a man of G-d..." and then proceeded to recite New Testament scripture. I told him I'm an Old Testament guy to which he replied, "That's okay, G-d will tell you the right thing to do...". At that point, I agreed to $5 and we continued our chat.

Robert is 74 years old, was born in Chicago and grew up in Hyde Park. He now lives in Maywood and has been a Pastor there for nine years. When I commented he didn't look like 74, he said G-d made him look younger...he didn't look this good when he was 65. We talked for a few more minutes and said our farewells.

I have my doubts about Deacon Robert's story, but I don't feel bad about the $5 portrait, given inflation since the group began over 12 years ago.

Photographed 11/10/22

Deacon Robert
Submitted for 52Frames
Sony A7 IV @ f5.6 1/125 55mm ISO 200
Tamron E 28-200mm F2.8-5.6 A071

Deacon Robert
Submitted for $2 Portraits
Sony A7 IV @ f5.6 1/125 75mm ISO 250
Tamron E 28-200mm F2.8-5.6 A071


No comments:

Post a Comment