I have been posting to this blog for over 13 years, each year reporting on accomplishments over the prior year and goals for the new year.

2024 is no different. My main photography goal for the year is listed in the January submission of the 2024 C.London 52 Week Photography Challenge. Content this year will work towards that goal in addition to my general shooting. Check out my website "About" page to learn more. The website is at www.jeffmarcowitz.photography 

All content posted here in the blog will also be on the website, however with a subscription to the blog, you'll continue to receive the email notifications.

Thanks to all of you who have followed this photo blog for many years and welcome to any newcomers. My hope is that the images and stories are interesting and thought-provoking as I continue this creative journey. As always, comments, critiques and suggestions (here and the website) are welcome and appreciated as they often lead to new ideas and inspiration.

Thank You.
Jeff

Friday, April 1, 2011

Brian


3/31/11 - Week 13
Continued my walk up Market Street on 3/31/11 and met Brian.  Brian's sign is what caught my eye; "WHY LIE! I NEED BEER".  I admired his honesty (or marketing approach) and engaged him in conversation.  When I told him about the $2 Portraits project and asked if I could take his picture and post it on my website, he gave me a roaring double thumbs-up!  I took a few pictures while Brian posed and then continued our conversation.

Brian was a talkative, friendly guy.  Only problem was I couldn't understand much of what he said.  I was able to get that he is 48 years old and grew up in Missouri.  He's been in San Francisco since age 11 and for many years of his adult life worked odd jobs such as sheetmetal worker and security guard.  I couldn't quite get why Brian finds himself in his present condition, but he obviously suffers from some physical maladies.  I asked about his family back in Missouri and he said he gave them up 20 years ago - "I'm through with them; they are evil and I am a messenger of Jesus."  That sounding odd, I asked him if he was on something and he said that he used to mess around with drugs but no more.  "I'm clean now, but I do like my beer."

He asked my name and where I was from.  After a few more moments of conversation, I gave him $2 and told him to enjoy his "cold one".  He smiled and said thank you.  And I walked on.

No comments:

Post a Comment