I have been posting to this blog for over 13 years, each year reporting on accomplishments over the prior year and goals for the new year.

2024 is no different. My main photography goal for the year is listed in the January submission of the 2024 C.London 52 Week Photography Challenge. Content this year will work towards that goal in addition to my general shooting. Check out my website "About" page to learn more. The website is at www.jeffmarcowitz.photography 

All content posted here in the blog will also be on the website, however with a subscription to the blog, you'll continue to receive the email notifications.

Thanks to all of you who have followed this photo blog for many years and welcome to any newcomers. My hope is that the images and stories are interesting and thought-provoking as I continue this creative journey. As always, comments, critiques and suggestions (here and the website) are welcome and appreciated as they often lead to new ideas and inspiration.

Thank You.
Jeff

Friday, April 22, 2011

Sam & Roy


4/22/11 - Week 16 (Posted)  4/14/11 (Taken)
There is some awesome music being performed on the streets in San Francisco.  From a block away, I was drawn in by the gripping sounds of saxophone emanating from the corner of Powell & Post.  As I got closer, I also heard the bass guitar and saw two guys fully engrossed in putting out a latin jazz groove.  Standing on the corner, leaning on newspaper stands and moving to the beat were a couple of onlookers whom I was happy to join.  We acknowledged amongst us how great these guys were.  As they moved on, I stuck around to listen longer.  I pointed at my camera, silently asking if I could take some pictures and they both nodded in affirmation.

What I have come to learn is that playing on the street is not always an act of desperation; rather a way to gain exposure and to freely share one's talent.  Sam Austin is a professional.  He has a latin jazz band.  He plays in clubs.  He plays in festivals.  He plays in the studio.  And he plays on the street.  Sam says he usually makes more money playing on the street than playing in a club.  Originally from New York, Sam has played woodwind instruments since age 18.  While he looked to be in his late 40's, Sam is 60 years old and has been in San Francisco for a long time where he raised three kids, now grown.  One of his sons has a recording studio and is producing one of his records.  Sam attributes his youthful looks to being an athlete, evidenced in some of the pictures he shared with me.

As Sam's buddy, Roy, sat on a milk crate and jammed out the bass guitar track, Sam switched up instruments from sax to tenor sax to clarinet to flute, and continued to put out wonderful ear candy.  Roy, who appeared to be older, is only 56.  Roy grinned and said, "Sam has lived a good life, and I haven't."  They appeared to be good friends.

I had dropped a fin into the open case on the sidewalk; very inexpensive for the high quality entertainment.  Sam asked if I would be interested in buying a CD, one just produced the night before where the labels have not yet been printed nor the tracks labeled.  16 tracks representing a variety of his music.  "Absolutely", I said and paid him.  Wow - what a find!  I'm listening to it now as I write this story and am now determined to hear Sam play live somewhere this summer…he's that good.  Will try to make it an outing with my music-listening colleague, Jeff P.  I thanked Sam & Roy and told them I hope to see them again.  As I walked on towards Union Square, those compelling sounds continued to ripple through the street canyon and put a spring in my step.

2 comments:

  1. I knew you were a great photographer, but had no idea you were such a great writer as well. Publish more books faj!

    ReplyDelete