I have been posting to this blog for over 13 years, each year reporting on accomplishments over the prior year and goals for the new year.

2024 is no different. My main photography goal for the year is listed in the January submission of the 2024 C.London 52 Week Photography Challenge. Content this year will work towards that goal in addition to my general shooting. Check out my website "About" page to learn more. The website is at www.jeffmarcowitz.photography 

All content posted here in the blog will also be on the website, however with a subscription to the blog, you'll continue to receive the email notifications.

Thanks to all of you who have followed this photo blog for many years and welcome to any newcomers. My hope is that the images and stories are interesting and thought-provoking as I continue this creative journey. As always, comments, critiques and suggestions (here and the website) are welcome and appreciated as they often lead to new ideas and inspiration.

Thank You.
Jeff

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Kirk


At the corner of Powell & O'Farrell, sitting on a milk crate with a "Homeless & Hungry" sign, I met Kirk.  There was nothing unusual about him that said "STOP" other than his position right in the line of pedestrian traffic.  Unfortunately, there are a lot of "Kirks" along Powell.  I stooped down beside him and told him about the $2 Portrait project - that I'd be happy to give him $2 if I could take his picture and he tell me a little about his story.  Kirk said that's a good deal and we began to talk.

Kirk is 54 years old and originally from El Segundo, CA.  He worked as a truck driver until he became disabled.  He's been in San Francisco for 12 years and did say that it is a lot colder than LA, but it could be worse.  "Like Chicago", I said, "where you'd be freezing your butt off 6 months of the year."  "You got that right", Kirk chuckled.  We continued to talk and I asked if he had any family.  Kirk has a 25 year old daughter living in San Bernadino who he hasn't seen in a long time.  He says his ex turned her against him and didn't allow any contact.  A whole list of questions was passing through my mind on this subject, but I saw that Kirk was getting uncomfortable and I chose not to pursue them.

Physically, Kirk looked okay so I asked about his disability.  "HIV", he replied.  "Couldn't work after I got it."  He went on to tell me he gets a disability check once a month, but usually into the third week, he's out of money and has to take to the street.  He's on medication every day for the HIV - 18 pills - the $2,000/month cost of which is covered by MediCal (a state program I presume).  I asked him if he was clean and he replied that he is and that he's too old to be messin' around with that s__ any more.

I had been shooting the occasional picture during our conversation and I think Kirk became a little wary that he might get stiffed on the $2.  Recognizing this, I stood up and pulled out $2 and thanked him for his time and for sharing his story.  He stood up, shook my hand and offered thanks.  He then packed up his milk crate and signs and walked on down O'Farrell.

Also submitted for Daily Shoot #529: "Make a black and white photograph today."

Taken 4/25/11
Posted Flickr 4/28/11
Posted Project52 4/30/11 - Week 18

Check out my other $2 Portraits at http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffm211/sets/72157626211920319/

No comments:

Post a Comment